How to Choose a Pediatrician
Finding the right pediatrician for your child is one of the most important
parental decisions you can make.
At St. Joseph Health Medical Group, we know it's important to be comfortable
with the doctor's philosophies, policies and training. Knowing that
you and your child will be treated with respect and compassion is vital
to the creation of a trusted, years-long doctor-patient relationship.
Here's how to start choosing a pediatrician that's right for you:
- Search toward the end of your pregnancy
- Get referrals from family, friends and your obstetrician
- Check credentials such as board certification, subspecialty or pediatric interest
As you're searching, here are some important questions to ask:
- Do you have separate waiting areas for sick and healthy children?
What is your philosophy about
circumcision and the use of antibiotics?
- What is your policy on vaccinations?
- If you are unavailable when I call, will your nurse be available?
- When is the best time to call for minor questions?
- If I cannot speak with you, who will handle my questions?
- How are after hours situations or emergencies handled?
- What hospital does the doctor admit to?
- Does the office accept your insurance or offer payment plans?
Once you begin your search, you'll probably have more questions, so
keep in mind that the bond between you and your pediatrician is a critical
one. A well-qualified doctor doesn't mean it's the right one for
you. Inform yourself, then choose.