Choosing a Primary Care Physician
Choosing a primary care physician in the High Desert is more than just
about choosing a doctor, it's about developing a trusting, ongoing
relationship with a caring professional that will look out for your important
health care needs and well-being.
At St. Mary High Desert Medical Group, our primary care physicians -- sometimes
known as general practitioners, “GPs” or “PCPs”
-- provide outstanding care for the entire family, from newborns to seniors
and every age in-between. Our doctors take the time to build strong relationships
with their patients, which leads to better, more personalized care that
helps patients and their families enjoy healthier lives.
Choosing a primary care physician that's right for you and your family
can take some time and research. Here are some things to consider:
- Ask your friends and neighbors for referrals, but keep in mind everyone's
health care needs are different.
- Is the doctor in your network? Most health plans have online physician
directories or call the telephone number on the back of your card to confirm.
- Is the doctor accepting to new patients?
- Is the office convenient to you as well as office hours?
- Check credentials such as board certification.
- Is the doctor's practice focus and style compatible to your needs?
- Call the office and see how you're received.
- Make a trial appointment. Meeting the doctor in person can help you determine
if it’s a good fit or not.
Does it feel right? Trust your gut. Make a choice that’s right for
you and your family. And, if your needs change over time, you can change
providers along the way to ensure your health care needs are being met.