***Top Doctors of 2018 Honoree by Sonoma Magazine***
As a Board Certified expert in robotic urologic surgery and other minimally invasive urologic techniques, Dr. Kaplan treats Sonoma and Napa County patients with the latest technology and a skillful human touch. After graduation with distinction from Cornell University, he received his medical degree at the UC Irvine School of Medicine, where he continued on as a resident in Urology, under the tuttlage of Drs. Ralph Clayman, Jaime Landman and Thomas Ahlering. While there, he led award-winning research in novel therapies, technological development, and quality of life outcomes for the treatment of kidney cancer, prostate cancer, kidney stone disease and disorders of the bladder. He then went on to Duke University, where he completed a 2-year fellowship in Endourology and Robotic Urologic Surgery with Dr. Glenn Preminger and Dr. Michael Ferrandino. Throughout his comprehensive training, he benefitted from the mentorship of the pioneers and thought leaders in Urology who developed the modern laparoscopic, robotic, endoscopic and percutaneous techniques that he uses each day in practice. More recently, as the Medical Director of Robotic Surgery, Dr. Kaplan launched the robotic surgery program at Santa Rosa Memorial Hospital, a program continually lauded as progressive, outcome-driven and effective.
Specialty areas of interest include:
- Nerve-sparing Robotic Surgery for Prostate Cancer (Radical Prostatectomy)
- Robotic Surgery for Kidney cancer (Partial and Radical Nephrectomy) and Adrenal Cancer (Adrenalectomy)
- Kidney stone disease (Percutaneous nephrolithotomy, Complex Ureteroscopy, Lithotripsy)
- Robotic and Transurethral Treatment for Benign Prostatic Hyperplasia (Simple Prostatectomy, Bipolar and Button TURP, Greenlight PVP and other novel therapies)
- Robotic treatment for Ureteropelvic Junction Obstruction (Pyeloplasty), and other urologic obstruction (Ureter repair, Ureteral reimplant)
- Men’s Health
While Dr. Kaplan primarily focuses on robotic surgery for urologic cancer and minimally invasive surgery for complex kidney stone disease, he enjoys all aspects of Urology and maintains a wide breadth of skills. Dr. Kaplan welcomes new patients requesting a comprehensive visit for any Urologic need, and looks forward to providing exceptional, thoughtful and less-invasive care!